Have a question? Use the form below to ask us a question.
Your Questions Answered!
- Can My Children Get Diseases From Our Pets? - Can my children get diseases from our pets? Answer: YES! This is a good question and although veterinarians treat animals, part of their responsibility is to educate and prevent the spread of diseases from animals to humans. Animal diseases that can be transmitted to humans are called a Zoonotic Disease or Zoonoses. I know, I know it sounds like something to do with zoo animals but it is not. Most animals are capable of transmitting an infection to humans although it is rare. There are over 850 microorganisms that can be transmitted from animals to humans but because I am
- What to Know About Dog Flu - We keep hearing about the dog flu. What is it? And should I be worried? That is a great question, and a significant question since there have been many dog flu cases confirmed in Ohio. We at Springboro Veterinary Hospital are taking the dog flu (canine virus) very serious and suggesting dog owners do the same. However, there is no need to panic but there is a pressing need to educate dog owners and animal caretakers about the virus now versus later. The dog flu (canine influenza) is a relatively new illness which is caused by two different canine flu
- Buying Pet Medications Online, Risky or Convenient? - Should I buy pet medication online? There is hardly a day that goes by that I don’t get a request to sign an online prescription. I very reluctantly authorize them, because I believe through experience, many online sources are fraudulent. There for my opinion is they are riskier versus convenient. I have had several cases at my practice where online purchases have caused problems. One client bought Heartworm preventative that was later found to be bogus; their pet sadly developed heartworm disease. Another client ordered flea and tick medication at an unbelievable price, but when it arrived the entire package
- End of Life Care - Is it time? This page is a place where pet parents can ask “Ask the Vet” questions. But this month the vet has a question of his own. When do you know it is time? When do you know it is the end? Even though I know the answers, it was a painful question with my own dog. With the recent passing of our beloved dog Carly, and the gut wrenching, heartbreaking, profound sadness that I am experiencing, I thought this might be a good time to pass along some thoughts to help with end of life decisions, or maybe,
- Do Pets Dream? - As a veterinarian I am often questioned if pets dream? According to recent research, there is now doubt that many animals dream. Dogs and other animals aren’t that different from humans when it comes to some phases of sleep. Humans, dogs and other animals experience two stages of sleep, slow wave sleep (SWS) and rapid eye movement REM the sleep phase in which we experience dreams. During the REM phase, the brain is very active. When your dog whines, growls twitches, the legs move like they are running, the eyes roll back, or you see and hear heavy breathing, they
- Tick population on the rise! - My dog has a tick should I take him to the vet? It depends, not all ticks cause problems for dogs and cats. However, if your animal is sick and you have recently observed a tick on your pet, by all means, take your pet to a veterinarian right away. You can remove the tick yourself, make sure you wear gloves, or if you are uncomfortable doing this, your veterinarian can remove it for you. To prevent your dogs and cats from getting ticks in the future, start a flea and tick preventive for your pet right away. And don’t