Can my pet get sick from eating chocolateAnswer: This is an excellent question, with Valentine’s Day approaching. Not only can your pet get sick, if they ingested enough, they could die. This applies to dogs and cats, but dogs are far more likely to swallow things that they shouldn’t than cats. It does not take very much to be a problem. Any amount should be of concern, and your veterinarian should be consulted. The toxic ingredients cause upset of the gastrointestinal tract, the neurologic system, the cardiovascular system, and the pancreas.

Upon ingestion of chocolate, your veterinarian will induce vomiting and administer activated charcoal. In more severe cases, your pet will be hospitalized for supportive care and further testing.
Your best bet is to avoid access to chocolate. Just make sure that you eat all that Valentine candy and that your pet does not.