- Keep people food out of the reach of your pet, and ask your Uncle Eddy to do the same. We consume a lot of food during the Christmas holidays, and our pets have to watch. Do not feed your pet table food but have a few healthy pet treats available instead.
- Keep food away from the edge of the counters. Christmas is training time for counter surfers. Our dog, who does not get human food, unless Uncle Eddy stops over, grabbed a whole pizza off of the counter last week. (Confessions of a veterinarian). It was my fault; I left the pizza close to the edge. And sure enough, when I was not paying attention, she ate the whole thing. Eating a pizza was dangerous and could cause pancreatitis. Thankfully she is ok, but she was sluggish for a day or two.
- Keep your pet away from human treats, especially those containing chocolate, xylitol, grapes/raisins, onions or other toxic foods.
- Turkey and Turkey skin can cause pancreatitis even in small amounts.
- Yeast dough can cause painful gas and dangerous bloating
- Do not leave your pet alone with lit candles, decorated trees or potpourri
- Keep Christmas plants (especially holly, mistletoe, and lilies) out of reach of pets.
- Leave the tinsel off your tree if you have a cat. Tinsel can cut the inside of a cat’s intestine.
- Lockdown your Christmas tree to keep it from falling over if your dog bumps it or your cat climbs it.
Gary Beall DVM
Chip Beall DVM
Springboro Veterinary Hospital
We love what we do!
Join us on: